Saturday, May 16, 2009

Self Words

What do words like self-doubt, self-esteem and self-deprecating mean to you? Through time I've realized that self words often are a hint that focus is off somewhere. I think self-evaluation is important, but in light of who you are in God and all He's trying to do in you...self becomes less significant somehow.

I don't believe we are all to be chameleons of one another, walking around robotic and void of any specific character traits or gifts. God has gifted us uniquely and it thrills me to witness how many types of gifts there are. One of my favorite parts of being involved in a church is to see those gifts hard at work.

I think there's a wonderful sweet spot where you're self-aware enough to be able to surrender yourself and your desires (the whole dying to yourself bit), so that in turn God can do something powerful through you. After all, wasn't it Jesus who said in order to find yourself you need to lose yourself first. I think it's all about ripping down our pride and remembering who is in control.

What do you think of self words?

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about your post and I agree. "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your SELFfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me." Matthew 16: 24 It is about dying to yourSELF and living for Jesus. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete