Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Too close to Comfort

That's it! We (our culture) doesn't seem to like "discomfort". You think of our lifestyle and all the gadgets and ways we try to make life "comfortable" and convenient. For every medical ailment, we're so quick to jump to anything that will heal us or make us feel better (well, I guess why would we want otherwise?) Admit it, we don't do well when we're pushed out of our comfort zones. When there's anything that disrupts that comfort, we panic and look for ways to immediately remedy that discomfort AND we will do almost anything to restore that order into our lives again. Don't get me wrong, I have my certain comforts that I would rather not trade in, but if they were taken away from me, I would not be devastated (my health, chocolate, a roof over my head, music, a functioning toilet, thick, chenille socks, etc.) The apostles often talked about suffering (or discomfort in a more intense sense) and yet they added that we should "suffer with joy"....what?! It seems so unnatural to our very nature. BUT, they continue on and say that suffering produces perseverance (James 1) and that perseverance strengthens our faith. Wouldn't we want that? Wouldn't we want to own our faith instead of just inheriting it from our parents or believing out of fear? How do we own a faith that isn't personal and alive to us? From experience, I've seen God do amazing things during my lowest moments in life. I'm certain that I would not know the depth of God's grace, mercy and love on me had I not gone through those moments. Now, when things are looking rough or about to look rough, I just wonder how God is going to reveal Himself more in that time and what He's trying to accomplish through the circumstance ( I didn't say it wouldn't be painful).

Bottom Line: We're a part of this world and we are going to be affected by the natural because we're of the flesh, but we were not created to be weak, pitiful, lost beings. If anything, we're called to be bold (yes, even with the trials), joyful and unshakable, and we can be through Jesus. For sure, I'd be a wreck hands-down without Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment