Thursday, June 25, 2009

God's Timing II

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God,which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."--Philippians 4:6-7

Have you ever prayed for something so much ("Do not be anxious about anything," but it's our nature to be) and thought that God wasn't listening because you either didn't get an answer or the answer wasn't what you were hoping for? How about when you've wanted something so badly and thought that you needed a response immediately ("but in everything, by prayer")? I used to think that when I prayed for something, especially if it was something that would positively benefit myself or anyone involved,
God would honor that prayer and respond accordingly ("and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. " I admit, it's very difficult to be thankful in times of conflict and suffering. Before I came to faith in Christ and even early on in the faith, I can't say I was thankful for the pain.). Was I proven wrong! It's not that God doesn't want us to live peaceful, exciting and joy-fulfilled lives, but He wants better, He wants the BEST for us ( And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Isn't that what we want?). Let's face it, we don't always know what's best for us. How many times do we choose a friend or significant other and know that in the midst of it, it wasn't the healthiest relationship to be in? Yet, somehow in our own stubbornness and desire, we think at the onset of the relationship we've made a great choice or maybe we know we've made a poor decision, but are too stubborn and/or prideful to change our minds.

What do you think? How many times have we found ourselves saying, "If I had just waited, I would/could/should have..." ? What are some of your could haves, should haves, would haves had you just waited for God's best? Ugh... Errrrr.....that's how I feel when I miss out on God's choices for me due to my lack of patience and feeling the need to control my own circumstance.

Here's my should have, could have, would have: If I had just waited for God's best and His timing, I would have abstained from being involved in the relationships I chose. I wish I had known sooner that I didn't need anyone else's validation but God's. Ugh...Errr..... but, thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment