Friday, April 24, 2009

To Beauty or Not to Beauty?

I think the hoopla about Susan Boyle is an insightful one. I think she is having all this publicity because she represents people who have ever felt marginalized by their quirks and outwardly appearance. I think western society is so hungry for genuine acceptance and love that watching Susan Boyle sparked something inside them that said, "If people only took the time to get to know me without judging me first based on my looks, they would discover that I am likable and worth it." I personally felt sad when people snickered and thought she was foolish for thinking she was better than she looked. I am guessing that most of us want to be taken seriously by others and given the opportunity to prove ourselves before being judged.

This past week as I was reading, I was reminded of the verse in Isaiah that talked about Jesus' appearance. It said that he was not "attractive" and that he did not have physical traits that we would, in general, find desirable. Oh my! We're not talking about just an ordinary person here on the street corner, we are talking about The Redeemer, Our Savior, the One who gives us life and yet he wasn't this being who was considered "handsome" in his society. Could this suggest that perhaps God is more interested in who we are than what we look like? That just maybe our hearts matter most to Him than our faces or bodies?

I've often heard the saying that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I think it's absolutely true! Our Creator didn't make a mistake when he made you. You are who you are. To Him, you are beautiful and precious...isn't that worth anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment