Monday, July 27, 2009

Speaking of Fear

Speaking of fear, I want to know what angels look like. They’re always going around in the Bible telling Bible folk not to fear. So out of curiosity more than entitlement (I’m not a fool) I want to know what angels look like. Even more, I want to see Jesus’ face, but I know that time will come. I await it in anticipation. I crave heaven. Sometimes and on some days I am so painfully aware that this is not my home. Get this, I’ve had pangs of this or phantom pains of it since I was a little kid, since before I even knew God. That is part of the reason why I emphatically believe our God pursues. He draws us close to Him and we unknowingly long for Him all too often.

Back to angels (wouldn’t want those angels chasing off down any more rabbit trails. Rabbits just might turn pale and keel over on us). Did they shine so bright that people had to shade their eyes? Did they have countless fluttery wings? Revelation has my mind tripping out when it comes to the various ways angels might look. Read that book and there’s no wonder anyone who actually saw an angel would initially feel anything but fear. I love that the first words the angels would say were words of reassurance. Our God is such a God of reassurance, but not apologetically and meek in His calming. Do not fear was spoken as a command. If I’m guessing right, I don’t think we’re supposed to take those too lightly.

While it’s fun to imagine what it might be like to get a 3:00 am visit from an ethereal melodious-voiced angel, I prefer thinking of hanging out in a flower garden with Jesus. I have so many questions. I want to study Him, want to listen and listen and listen to His voice, recognizing it as wonderfully familiar and eternally reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment