Thursday, March 5, 2009

Money, Money, Money

My children and I were talking about the impoverished children of Africa and some of the things they are suffering from (digestive worms, starvation, abandonment, etc.). We then prayed for them, and then began to brainstorm ways that we can help. My daughter suggested that we send them sandals and donate our clothes and shoes to them. My son thought that he could send his allowance money to the program that sends us updates about their ministry in various parts of Africa (Food for the Hungry). After much brainstorming, it was becoming clear that no amount of money and material resources were going to "solve" the problem. Then all of a sudden, my son offered that we send Bibles there since money wasn't going to fix it. There you go! We not only want to do our part to care for those that are in need for the now, but also for the later. I am always blown away at how wise and preceptive children can be if given the chance to process and voice their thoughts. "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, in purity."(1Timothy 4:12) Wow! Do I feel old or what??!

No comments:

Post a Comment